The dehumidifier…Perhaps not the most common appliance you will find in a home or office, but that doesn’t mean you should ignore them all together. Dehumidifiers have many qualities that can benefit your house and your family. If you are someone that suffers from certain allergies or asthma, then buying a dehumidifier can help keep you healthy.
Typically, dehumidifiers are used to control the humidity and moisture levels of a room by absorbing excess moisture. Reducing moisture levels within a room helps prevent nasty bugs, allergens and dust mites from habituating. Excess moisture can also cause mould, mildew and occasionally rot. If you have ever been into bathroom and noticed that the ceiling or walls are covered with black mould, then this is because the moisture has nowhere to go and needs to be treated. Using a dehumidifier will dramatically reduce the chances of mould occurring, which will result in a cleaner room.
For those that are sensitive to mould and have mould allergies, then using a dehumidifier along with a regular cleaning schedule will be really beneficial to one’s health. If mould is not dealt with quickly, then spores are produced, which if got into someone’s lungs, could be very dangerous, especially if you have asthma. Coughing and a tight-chest are common symptoms of an asthma attack. If you regularly encounter these symptoms, then seek medical advice immediately.
Mould does not just affect the lungs and breathing difficulties, other symptoms include:
- Watery and itchy eyes
- Itchy throat
- Dry skin
- Blocked nose – congestive feeling
There are three main types of dehumidifiers, all of which have the same goal; to reduce the amount of moisture and to help stop the growth of mould.
- Compressor dehumidifier. This is the most common type that is used in homes. It works by condensing the moisture and then storing it in a tank. It works best at high temperatures.
- Desiccant dehumidifier. Often used in garages and other non-living environments. The desiccant dehumidifier absorbs any moisture in the air, but it heats the absorbent material which allows it to drop into the storage container. Because it has a heating facility, it produces more energy than the compressor.
- Moisture absorber device. Unlike other dehumidifiers, this type does not need an energy source. It works is by absorbing moisture via ultra-absorbent tablets. It does not need to be connected to a power-outlet, nor does it need batteries. It is completely silent too, so if you have one in your bedroom, rest assured you won’t be disturbed during the middle of the night.
Dehumidifiers are essential for any room that has humidity levels of around 50%. They are great for reducing moisture and mould, as well as helping your clothes stay fresher and to help them dry quicker (and without mould).
If you are someone that struggles with mould build-up, then trust me, a dehumidifier will be your friend in tackling this disgusting menace.
If mould is not your issue, but condensation is, then a dehumidifier can help too.
As mentioned, dehumidifiers absorb moisture and so therefore can help you with any condensation issues you are having. Depending on what device you have purchased will determine how quickly condensation will be cleared. They are ideal for bathrooms, kitchens, wet rooms, conservatories and also wherever you store your tumble dryer.
So, if you are fed-up living in a house that is dirty, damp, makes you ill and has an odd odour, then it is more than likely that you will need a dehumidifier. They vary in price, from £50 to hundreds. They do run on electricity, but using one can reduce your air conditioning costs (if you own one that is), by helping it run more effectively and efficiently. Of course, there are moisture absorber dehumidifiers too, which can be dotted anywhere around your home. The choice is yours.
You may think they are quite costly, but ultimately they are very beneficial, especially for families that have a history of allergic skin conditions.